What can I do if my ex declines to head to mediation?


Can My Ex Refuse to Attend Medation? What Are My Options?

It is often the first step for couples who have decided to separate or divorce. It is a way to resolve disputes without going to court, which can be time-consuming and expensive.

However, what happens if your ex refuses to attend? Can they legally refuse, and what options do you have?

In this article, we’ll discuss what to do if your ex declines to attend the process, and how to proceed if they refuse.

What is Mediation?

Before we delve into the topic, let’s take a moment to explain what mediation is. It is a process in which a trained mediator helps couples in dispute to reach an agreement on issues related to their separation or divorce. Mediation is voluntary, and both parties must agree to participate.

The mediator is a neutral third party who does not take sides or make decisions for the couple. Instead, the mediator facilitates communication and negotiation between the couple, helping them to come to an agreement that works for both parties.

What Can I Do If My Ex Refuses to Attend Mediation?

It is a voluntary process, which means that both parties must agree to attend. If your ex refuses to attend mediation, there are several steps you can take to try to resolve the issue.

Try to talk to your ex
The first step is to try to talk to your ex and find out why they are refusing to attend mediation. There may be a valid reason for their refusal, such as scheduling conflicts or concerns about the process. Try to address their concerns and see if you can find a way to resolve the issue.

Explain the Benefits of Mediation
If your ex is still refusing to attend, it may be helpful to explain the benefits. Mediation can be less expensive and less time-consuming than going to court. It also allows both parties to have a say in the outcome of their dispute, rather than leaving the decision to a judge.

Consider Legal Action
If your ex still refuses to attend the sessions, you may need to consider legal action. You can ask the court to order your ex to attend. If the court agrees, your ex will be legally required to attend.

It is a valuable tool for resolving disputes between couples who are separating or divorcing. However, if your ex refuses to attend , there are steps you can take to try to resolve the issue.

Start by talking to your ex and explaining the benefits of mediation. If that doesn’t work, you may need to consider legal action.

If you need assistance with mediation or any other family law matters, Barclaydevere is here to help. Our experienced family law solicitors can guide you through the process and help you achieve the best possible outcome for your situation.

Call 03300 100 082 Speak To One Of Our Mediators Today

Important Links

Family Mediation Basingstoke Local Service , Horsham Family Mediation Service

Related Articles